Contributors

Dressage


Dressage (a French term meaning "training") is a path and destination of competitive horse training, with competitions held at all levels from amateur to the Olympics. Its fundamental purpose is to develop, through standardized progressive training methods, a horse's natural athletic ability and willingness to perform, thereby maximizing its potential as a riding horse. At the peak of a dressage horse's gymnastic development, it can smoothly respond to a skilled rider's minimal aids by performing the requested movement while remaining relaxed and appearing effortless. Dressage is occasionally referred to as "Horse Ballet." Although the discipline has its roots in classical Greek horsemanship, mainly through the influence of Xenophon, dressage was first recognized as an important equestrian pursuit during the Renaissance in Western Europe. The great European riding masters of that period developed a sequential training system that has changed little since then and classical dressage is still considered the basis of trained modern dressage.

Early European aristocrats displayed their horses' training in equestrian pageants, but in modern dressage competition, successful training at the various levels is demonstrated through the performance of "tests," or prescribed series of movements within a standard arena. Judges evaluate each movement on the basis of an objective standard appropriate to the level of the test and assign each movement a score from zero to ten - zero being "not executed" and ten being "excellent." A score of nine (or "very good") is considered a particularly high mark, while a competitor achieving all sixes (or 60% overall) should be considering moving on to the next level.

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Work and Fun can happen together!

 

Share what you love, and the money will follow.

 

             Work and Fun can happen together.

                            A while back I wrote a Blog Post “Do what you love and the money will Follow”, there were several ideas in this post:

                         It’s okay to make mistakes

                         It’s good to have fun even when you are working (work and fun are not mutually exclusive)

                          Taking care of yourself is necessary, not selfish

                          Everyone’s path is not the same (Some people may have similar goals and different ways to get there. Other people may have different goals all together, and this is not for us to judge.)

            I had fun with “It’s ok to make mistakes” in that Blog, so let’s talk about “Work and fun can happen together”;

                                  Somehow, we are taught when we are kids that work is a bad word. People make a goal to make enough money, so they no longer have to work. But then what? And for heaven’s sake, for most of us how long does that take? How many stories do we hear about unhappy wealthy people? Money itself is not fulfilling. I believe; money can mean freedom, but freedom from what? What if we design a life where making money and living a fun and fulfilling life go hand in hand?

           This might require a shift in perspective, not a big one mind you, just a small shift. Then suddenly life will be much brighter every day when you wake up. What if you are a waitress and you have a love of art? Every day you are pushed to the waitress job to pay the bills, everyday you long to be more involved in art. What if as a waitress you go in everyday and bubble over with your amazing skills and apply your love for art in your job? What would that look like? What are you good at? Do you enjoy helping people feel good about themselves? Can you give more compliments? Work with your teammates energetically and create a positive work atmosphere that helps everyone do a better job, and in the end benefits the restaurant and your tips? Can you notice people that might have the same interest as you? Find a part time job in an art gallery, take a class in painting? Go to a new exhibit and meet people that share your passion? Is it possible to work in a restaurant with an owner that shares your passion and lets you participate in new and exciting décor? Is it possible to add decorations for the seasons? Create fun specials or challenges? How can you take your job and make it fun? I know you have been in restaurants where the waitress/waiter was “doing his job” and I know you have been in restaurants where your server was engaged and creating an experience for you. If you do not want to be a server all your life you must create a vision of the next step and work toward it. However, I believe we do not get to the next step without honing our gifts in our present situation.

             What does this mean? I believe opportunities come along for us often. I also believe if we are not working on who we need to be, then the opportunities become problems, create fear and many are passed by because they are misunderstood. What do I mean by this? One example is through the years I have had many difficult horses in training. What I learned from each horse depended  on my state of mind at the time. Sometimes it was the owner, not the horse, that taught me the lessons! However, as I look back, I could never be doing what I do now without the difficult horses. Do I wish I had paid more attention to a couple of them? Yes! But thankfully I listened to enough of them that I can ride the horses that I have now. And the best part is, that I have had two of the most difficult, shut down horses of my career this past year and not only am I able to build a connection with and train them, but I am also having fun doing it! Instead of looking at it like “why me?” I am thankful for the opportunity to learn more, be creative and give these horses a chance in a human world. Maybe the horses of the past did not take me to the big show ring, maybe they did not even make me big money, however, applying myself and my special creative talents changed their lives, as they did mine. From those lessons I am able to do an even better job, create more skill and am able to make money in the field I love.

               So, whatever you are doing to “make money” now I want to challenge yourself to make a small shift in perspective. If you are not happy with your present situation what would make you happy? What is your dream job? Start to imagine it, because if you don’t know what it is, you cannot create it. Next, what can you do in your present situation to make it more fun? There is always something!

 

        

                      Be youthful in your approach

                      Connection is the key

                      Remember! anything is possible

        I hope this brings more fun into your life!

                                   Nancy

              

No comments:

Post a Comment